Thursday, November 13, 2008

Back to School

When I was in library school, the requirements for degree completion were pretty clear: pass these classes, meet these requirements, get your diploma and put letters by your name. Easy steps to a goal.

Gaining experience in the genealogy world isn't so cut and dry. There are letters you can earn and put by your name, but no clear path to get there. You have to decide when you're ready and then apply for certification.

My information management background is on a whole different, more streamlined plane than genealogy, and I'm still trying to process the differences.

In order to try to scrape together something that resembles a formal genealogical education, I've enrolled in the "Home Study Course" of the National Genealogical Society. Though the class title sounds like something from an offshore diploma mill where you pay your pesos and get a PhD in astrophysics, the course apparently is well-respected and considered a valid step toward genealogical certification.

My family tree has served me well, but it doesn't provide the research challenges I want. This class is a step toward that advanced study.

I started the first lesson last night. I'll let you know how it goes.

5 comments:

  1. I'm considering doing the NGS course as well, Amy. Let us know what you think!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Elizabeth, thanks for commenting. I'll keep you posted. I did choose the NGS course as my first over others because it is very mom friendly. You do the work when you can.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "Mom friendly" is exactly what I need! Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. so how did it go? I am really interested! I do have the summers to work on things but during the school year I am swamped. I like the work at your own place idea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck to you! I'm interested to hear more about your experience as well. I've been wrestling with the idea of more education in the field, but haven't made a decision on how to proceed.

    ReplyDelete