Monday, February 23, 2009

Scanfest

I attended my second Scanfest yesterday and it was so fun!

Scanfest is a live event where people chat with each other on the computer while they scan old photos or documents. Normally, scanning and preserving records can get a bit monotonous, so talking with others helps the time fly.

I really like the people who attend Scanfest. I get a collaborative vibe from them. The library world (my parallel life) is all about collaboration, the latest ways to organize and push information toward others. Then I start playing in the genealogy sandbox, and it's like a step back in time. It's been very frustrating to see where the genealogy field is as opposed to where it could be.

BUT...Scanfest is full of those collaborative types and it makes me happy to see them. They will be the ones to help genealogy grow up reach a larger crowd. I want to be one of those people.

The next Scanfest is March 29, 11:00 am-2:00pm PST. I highly recommend it if you want to meet some friendly folks who are happy to answer questions about genealogy, scanning, technology or just about anything else. See you there!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for your shout out about Scanfest, Amy! We enjoy having you be a part of us, and I'm so glad you enjoy us as well! :-)

    ReplyDelete