Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Christmas in March

I received a package in the mail last week. It contained two notebooks full of Lenertz genealogy information. I cannot even describe how much this bolsters my Lenertz research. Mine is a small branch, with a very uncommon name, removed from the rest of the group when my ancestor went to Oklahoma. To have these details, two notebooks full...it's better than presents.

But wait, it gets better. My great-great grandfather had 9 siblings. There was one elusive sister about which I knew next to nothing. She was in a couple of censuses as a child and then she was gone. These notebooks came from someone married to a descendant of that mystery sister. She's not a mystery anymore! She went on to get married and have many children.

And...it gets even better! These notebooks include articles and obituaries of Lenertz ancestors from Minnesota newspapers. They are about my great-great grandfather's siblings and offspring. There are even some newspaper photos.

Thanks to the generosity of Dan in Minnesota, the pieces of my Lenertz puzzle are starting to fit together and reveal the picture of a family history about which I used to know nothing.

7 comments:

  1. WOW you have hit the genealogy lottery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So how did Dan find you. Was it through your blog. Is there anything in there about Buster?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always love it when I hear of someone getting a "treasure chest" of genealogical info! Congratulations! I look forward to hearing about some of your great finds in future posts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You said it best with "Christmas in March" - I feel it's Christmas too whenever I'm blessed with documents that help in my research! Can't wait to read more of your discoveries!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh you are so lucky! I'm really curious how you and Dan got together so you could receive this information...do tell more!

    ReplyDelete
  6. How wonderful of Dan to pass the information and assist you with putting together your family history. I wish we all could have a little "Christmas in March".

    Let us know how Dan found you...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kona -- There is no information about Buster, his dad or his grandfather. The grandfather moved away from his family in MN, so nobody knows about us, and I know little about them. When I meet someone, we exchange information and fill the holes and questions. I catch them up on our side and they fill me in on theirs.

    ReplyDelete