Friday, March 6, 2009

Share and Share Alike: The Will of Alexander Lenertz

Below is the will of Alexander Lenertz (d. 1879). It can be accessed or copied from the Blue Earth County Historical Society, file #588.

In the name of God, amen. Alexander Lenertz, of the city of Mankato, in the County of Blue Earth, + State of Minnesota, of the age 51 years, being of sound mind + memory + considering the uncertainty of this frail + transitory life, do therefore make, ordain, publish + declare, this to be my last will + testament: That is to say, first, after all my lawful debts are paid + discharged, the residue of my estate, real + personal, I give, bequeath, devise + dispose of as follows, to wit:

First, to my daughter Catharine I give + bequeath five dollars.

Second, to my beloved wife Margaret Lenertz, I give, bequeath + devise all the residue of my estate, both real + personal, to have to her use during the time of her natural life, + after her death the same to be divided between my children, John, Michael, Joseph, Alexander, William, Henry, Frank, Mary + Margaret equally, share + share alike; provided however, if my said wife shall marry after my decease, then + in that case, she shall have only such share of my said estate as is or shall at the time of my death be allowed to her by the laws of this State, + the balance shall then, at the time of her marriage, be divided between my said children, John, Michael, Joseph, Alexander, William, Henry, Frank, Mary + Margaret, share + share alike.

Likewise I make, constitute and appoint my wife Margaret Lenertz sole executrix of this my last will and testament, hereby revoking all former wills by me made.

In witness whereof, I have hereunto subscribed my name + affixed my seal the 23d day of September in the year of our lord, one thousand eight hundred + seventy eight –

Alexander Lenertz (seal)

The above written instrument was subscribed by the said Alexander Lenertz in our presence + acknowledged by him to each of us: and he at the same time published + declared the above instrument so subscribed to be his last will + testament; and we at the testators request, + in his presence, have signed our names as witnesses hereto, and written opposite our names our respective places of residence.

Qui-inus [Quivinus? Or Quirinus?] Leonard, of the city of Mankato
County of Blue Earth, State of Minnesota
Henry Willesheim, of the city of Mankato
County of Blue Earth, State of
Minnesota

Filed Sept 9th 1879
J. E. Porter
Probate Judge

No comments:

Post a Comment