Thursday, April 30, 2009

Back to School: Progress Report

Not much family genealogy going on because I'm working on my two class-type commitments.

I turned in my second assignment for ProGen3. I had to come up with an education plan. So far, the only feedback I got was relatively positive except for a comment that I've over thought some things. Frankly, I think many folks on this path under think what is involved in genealogical education and business development. That's my $.02.

I also finished assignment 7 of the NGS course. I realize this is confusing to you. I'm taking two different classes/courses/learning opportunities/whatever at the same time. When I'm not working on one, I'm working on the other.

Assignment 7 was about church and cemetery records. I analyzed some church minutes and drew a diagram of a cemetery, including a few transcriptions. Easy stuff as long as you follow the rules.

My NGS course is getting a bit frustrating. I'm regularly being asked to go to a repository and look at records. The only problem is that I'm having a hard time finding qualifying repositories. Harris County is out of the question. Given commuter traffic, parking fees, a confusing clerk website and several buildings of records all over the 4th largest city in the country, that's a lot of aggravation I won't accept. I drove out to Liberty County for assignment 6. For assignment 8, I'm looking at a 2-hour round trip to Montgomery County.

I never factored in all the miles required for this NGS course. Once again, it would be nice to share these experiences in an interactive way with other enrollees, but that ain't gonna happen.

All complaints aside, I'm glad things are moving along. I'll send assignments 4-7 off to NGS headquarters tomorrow for grading.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the heads-up on the NGS miles. Not sure how I'm gonna swing it with a back injury and a toddler... but I suppose I'll figure it out. No repositories that I know of here either, within 65 miles. :-(

    ReplyDelete