Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Viva Las Vegas, part 2

In part 1 of Viva Las Vegas, I showed you the grounds of the Masonic Cemetery in Las Vegas, New Mexico.

The whole reason for my visit to the cemetery was to find the graves of Robert Hayward and his family. After much walking in dead crunchy grass filled with grasshoppers (including one hitting me in the face) I found Robert Hayward, my great-great grandmother's second husband (film is on order from FHC to verify this). He died of typhoid on his sheep farm, according to the obit in the local paper.


He has a Woodmen of the World marker. This one is quite plain compared to the tree stump memorials I've seen elsewhere.

Next to Robert is his father Thomas Walter Hayward. As far as I can tell, he was born in England. All of his children were born in Kansas. At some point, the family moved to Las Vegas, New Mexico where Thomas was a butcher/shopkeeper.


This is Robert's mother, Samantha Josephine Hayward. I believe her maiden name was Hanson, but don't hold me to that.

Also in this area is the grave stone of Walter Hayward, a brother to Robert and son to Thomas and Samantha.
Robert's family is located to the right of his tombstone. What I found to the left of his grave still has me scratching my head. What could it be? Find out in part 3...


[Note to family: Robert Hayward is Violet's dad. Thomas and Samantha are her grandparents.]

No comments:

Post a Comment