Friday, September 18, 2009

I'm Dating RootsMagic

I first noticed RootsMagic 4 when it came as part of my blogger swag bag at the Southern California Genealogy Conference 2009 Jamboree. I must admit, I was a bit excited because my relationship with another genealogy software package wasn't really going anywhere.

Since then, my handful of encounters with RootsMagic have been simple and pleasant. I don't like complicated programs. I don't read manuals, so I want something easy going. I watched the RootsMagic tutorial and started playing with the basics. There are lots of bells and whistles, but I am easily guided by symbols and explanations. The tools for developing citations are top notch.

RootsMagic appears to do the same types of fancy tricks as my previous software did. I don't have enough information in my database yet to play with the reporting features, so I can't comment on those except to say the results look promising. What makes me feel best is that if I royally screw something up and need technical support, there's a good chance I'll get a response from a high-level staff member of RootsMagic who will personally help me get back on track. That wouldn't be the case with my previous genealogy program.

I've now logged enough time with RootsMagic 4 to announce to my family and friends that I am exclusively dating this genealogy software. I don't want to rush things, but this relationship looks very promising.

3 comments:

  1. Oh, thank you. I have been researching programs and decided to purchase RootsMagic4. I hear very good things about it.
    Thomas MacEntee uses RootsMagic 4 now and he likes it. I'm anxious to get into it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a long-time RootsMagic fan, I'm so pleased you made the switch! And after meeting creater, developer, and CEO Bruce Buzbee and his wife Laurie at the Washington State Genealogical Society's 2009 state conference, I can attest that they are such a nice, friendly, helpful couple. Taking Bruce's class on using RootsMagic was a bonus...even though I was very familiar with the program, I did learn a few things and I'm so excited to keep on using this program and utilize its features more fully!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My family made the switch to RootsMagic and we have been very happy with it.

    ReplyDelete