Tuesday, September 15, 2009

My 6th ProGen Chat

Yesterday, I participated in my 6th chat for my 18-month ProGen endeavor. This month's assignment had to do with time management. We had to keep a log of everything we do all day long for several days. Then we analyzed the data to see where the "time suckers" were in our schedule and submitted our observations to our peer group.

Since I live my life by a calendar & to-do lists, I knew this assignment would be no problem. I did the task and turned it in early. There was no way I was going to be late on a time management assignment.

My outcome from this assignment was different than others'. What I learned about myself was this: I cram a lot of activity into a little time frame. Sometimes I am so efficient with my time that I forget to breathe. Based on that observation, I've started to let some smaller things slide. There is less on my to-do list each day.

That's what I talked about in chat. Othes noticed that volunteer time was taking a bigger chuck of their time than previously realized, and how life can often get in the way of your intended genealogy goals. It was a good chat.

I suggest everyone keep time logs for several days. Be honest, detailed and thorough. You'll be surprised by the results. I plan on doing another multi-day time log six months down the road just to see if my changes have stuck. Keeps me honest.

No comments:

Post a Comment