Monday, November 23, 2009

The Genealogist's Holiday Gift List

The holidays are upon us!

Several of the popular genealogy magazines have published their own gift lists. Mine has some similarities, yet many differences. Though this article is geared toward the non-genealogist the chances of any reading this blog are slim. Should you want any of these items for yourself as holiday gifts, I encourage you to print out this post and tape it to the refrigerator as a gigantic hint.


Laptop or netbook
Hey, aim high. You never know.

Digital camera
A little pocket camera comes in handy when you're unable to scan or copy documents.

Digital tape recorder
These are great for transcribing documents, capturing important interviews and preserving history.

MP3 player
Genealogy podcasts are easy to download and just waiting for you to find them.

Books
Make a list of books you'd love to add to your library. Be specific or you'll end up with the History of Adams County, when you wanted the History of Aaron County.

Magazine subscriptions
Have your eye on a certain publication? Let it be known.

Database subscriptions
Ask for an annual (or partial) subscription to your favorite database.

Society memberships
An easy gift to give: membership to a local, state or national genealogy association.

Office Supplies
Little things make great stocking stuffers.

Charitable donations
Don't want any presents? Ask family members to give to historical non-profits, library genealogy collections, cemetery preservation societies or anything else that's important to you.

Share your photos and keepsakes
Given the choice between a new sweater or old family photos, I guarantee you that every genealogist would take the pictures.

Show an interest
This sounds silly, but if non-genealogy family members would show an interest in their ancestors' history this season, it would really brighten the day of your family's history keeper.


Genealogists are a special breed and we have special "toys" as well. Hopefully this list makes shopping a little easier so the holidays can be enjoyed to the fullest with loved ones.

6 comments:

  1. Amy,

    Great post! I love the idea of a digital voice recorder. Maybe I can convince my parents to buy me one. It would come in handy for genealogy and school.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I will take anything. We can all dream. Maybe I should buy for myself. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I have drawn up book lists and pointed my husband towards genealogy book websites, but he hasn't figured it out, yet. Does get me history books that go with my research, though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, This is a great idea...Hubby teased me the other day because my xmas list included a digital camera, and about 10 genealogy books from Amazon, and 3 DVD's. I believe the comment from him was along the lines if I was sure I wanted a bunch of books from Santa....I told him that I'd also be happy with a membership to NGS and the Az Genealogical Society.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've got a lot of books on my Amazon wish list...that's pretty much all I'm asking for. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One more on my list, Amy: DNA tests done by qualifying family members and results sent to me. Father, brother, cousins, etc... Now here's a gift that I would appreciate very much!

    Lisa
    100 Years in America
    Small-leaved Shamrock
    A light that shines again
    Carnival of Irish Heritage & Culture

    ReplyDelete