Tuesday, January 19, 2010

The Cornerstone of My Research

The newspaper article below is about a Duncan, Oklahoma DAR chapter member finding a scrapbook that shed some light on the history of the town's post office:

Scrapbook reveals history of post office (originally published by the Duncan Banner on August 20, 2009).

What's nifty about the article is that it says my great-great grandfather, Frank Jones, assisted in the placement of the cornerstone of the post office. In that stone is a time capsule of sorts. I would love to see what's in there!

This article is a few months old. When I get back from Mesa, I'll try to track down someone at the Duncan DAR chapter and see if I can learn more about the scrapbook, and maybe more about Frank Jones.

Now I simply must plan a road trip back to Oklahoma. On my to-do list will be a visit to that Duncan building and its corner stone.

[Note: I found this article somewhat by accident. An impromptu search of "Frank Jones" "Duncan Oklahoma" (quotations included) and scrolling through many irrelevant links finally led me to the piece. Sometimes patience and creative searching is what it takes to find little treasures like these.]

4 comments:

  1. My father-in-law was born in Duncan, OK, and his grandparents are buried in Comanche in Stephens County. Hmmm. I know we have the Coffins in commons, but now a new possible connection.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have Jones, Colbert, Bourland, Nielsen, Williamson and others in Duncan. All are buried in the Duncan Cemetery. Feel free to contact me if you believe there are any links.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great discovery, I bet you must look forward to seeing this living momument which represents your great grandfather

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Amy! I have Oklahoma Jones, too, but they lived in the Sapulpa area (near Tulsa). I think that is Creek County. I can't locate my Jones Great-great grandfather, I mean I can't find out who he was, so your branch and mine might actually connect back east. My Great-grandfather lived in KY with his family till he was grown, married a KY girl, then came west to the Kansas and Oklahoma areas. Lived here for a time, and died in Sapulpa. He missed showing up on any census with his father, no luck finding marriage licenses, etc, so it's been tough to locate him!

    ReplyDelete