Thursday, January 14, 2010

Sticking Another Toe in the DAR Pool

Wow! I'm really surprised at the interest generated by my post titled Sticking My Toe in the DAR Pool. Based on the feedback, I have a little update.

I was contacted yesterday by a representative from DAR. I can't tell if it's a national membership committee, a Texas-based committee, or something else. It appears that my declaration of interest I submitted to the national web site was delivered through proper channels to someone who is familiar with the chapters in my state and that's the person who contacted me.

She shared with me four chapters in my area that I may be interested in. Actually, given this massive city, there are probably a dozen chapters I could join, but I'll concentrate on these four. Several people have told me to attend different chapters' meetings and see which one fits me. I'm not quite sure how you get permission to attend a meeting, so I asked that question in my return email. We'll see what happens next.

I'd like to attend a meeting of each local chapter. I'm still not quite sure what is emphasized. Is it history? Patriotism? Volunteer service? What is expected of me? Without the details, I will continue to get in this pool one digit at a time instead of just diving in with a full commitment.

7 comments:

  1. Amy Dahling!

    Each monthly meeting's program will be different. Usually trying to focus on the subjects you mentioned. The meetings will also be part chapter business as well. All meetings are opened with the Pledge of Allegiance, the American's Creed and the National Anthem.

    I'm kind of surprised that they just gave you the chapters to contact yourself. Usually when some one is referred through the National website, they are referred to a chapter and then the chapter contacts the prospective member and away you go.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the info, Sheri. I should clarify that I don't think I'm supposed to contact the chapters. There are so many in the Houston area, that she threw out four chapter names/locations as a starting point. It looks like the next step is that I tell her my preferences and she takes it from there...I think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If they gave you the chapter in Conroe, that is a wonderful group. The ladies are so sweet and some work at the public library in the genealogy department.
    I attended once and believe it or not the meeting started out about the DAR then there was a guest speaker on gardening soil.
    I just never had time with all my family challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you have been contacted quickly, especially since the DAR web site states it could take up to two months.

    I am still waiting for a reply.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,

    Since there are many chapters in your area, it may be a good idea to attend the next meeting for a few just to get an idea about the chapter and the ladies. I am fortunate to have a wonderful local chapter, and although I am one of the youngest members, they are all very welcoming and supportive...they're a great group of women. You mentioned that you weren't sure how to attend. I would suspect that the person who contacted you (probably the state registrar) will contact the four chapters, at which point, the chapter's registrar will contact you...they will likely invite you to attend their next meeting. You could also just contact the chapter's regent and let them know that you are thinking of joining DAR and would like to attend a chapter meeting.

    Good luck!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was just installed into our local chapter in October and I enjoy the meetings different speakers and the luncheons with the ladies. I am the first in my family to apply and proved my lineage. (Yes, my daughter gets in with ONE piece of paper - her birth cert.!). There will be someone to help you formally apply every step of the way - no worries and good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the advice, guys. I wrote down the meeting times for my nearest chapters and will make it a goal to attend a meeting of each.

    ReplyDelete