Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Anatomy of a Military Pension File, Part 10

Previously, I reported on the acquisition of my great-great-great grandfather's military pension file. The documents contained within paint a picture of a man and his family about which I knew very little. I've decided to share this 103-page treasure chest of information with you a few pages at a time.

Page 25: Statement as to Hospital Treatment While in Service. This document appears to be the statement of Max Baerecke himself. Based on the handwriting compared to the signature, I believe someone else wrote the document for Max, then Max signed it. Below is the text from the document, handwritten portions of the record are in quotes:



In the matter of the Claim for Original Invalid Pension No. __[blank]__ of "Max Baerecke" late "Private" of Co "15th" Reg't "Inf U.S.A. commanded by Captain Wofford."

I was treated as follows: "At Newport, Baerecke (Newport Ky.) about one month or more (think it was in month October) in the fall of 1847; From Newport barracks I was transferred to general hospital at New Orleans La. where I remained until my discharge April 30th, 1848.

At Newport barracks I was treated for chronic diarrhoea. At New Orleans I was treated for yellow fever.

1862-1865 after my re-enlistment in 26th Regiment Wis. Vol. and until my discharge was treated by regimental surgeon Dr. Francis Huebschman for disease of eyes."

"Max Baerecke"
Claimant's Signature.

This statement must be signed by claimant himself and NEED NOT BE SWORN TO.



What did I learn from this document? I learned great details about Max's military history and health history. Without this pension file, I may never have known Max was in Newport, Kentucky or a hospital in New Orleans. I also learned that, based on Max's own timeline, he served about 2 months in the Mexican War before falling ill.

Coming up next, a disability affidavit and more medical details. Stay tuned...


On to part 11.

1 comment:

  1. This is so interesting! I have a huge (over 80 pages) file on my ancestor from the civil war. It's big because of all his medical ailments. He was shot in the leg at Fredricksburg, but wouldn't let them take the leg. It bothered him his whole life. He lived to be elderly, and worked in the Salem Custom House and wrote maritime histories. Now I know where I got my love of history. He spent years and years going back and forth to Boston for medical treatments, but kept his leg his whole life. His wife recieved a good pension after his death.

    ReplyDelete