Thursday, February 11, 2010

From the Clayton: I Ask Questions, You Get Answers

Yesterday, on my way out the door of the Clayton Library, I stopped by the bookshelves that hold the "World" genealogy books, but the shelves were half-empty, half-filled with the "United States" books. The staff were moving the U.S. books, but where were the World ones? The librarian at the desk said they were in the back on the first floor. The staff member didn't give a specific location and I didn't press. I'm just glad to know they're still with us. There are some empty shelves, though, and that always makes me nervous that they're weeding the exact items I need. So if you're looking for the World books, they're in a new place.

I also asked the desk librarian if the Family History Library films on permanent loan at the Clayton are in the Houston Public Library Catalog. Let me explain: the Clayton library recently became a designated Family History Center, meaning you can order films from the FHL and have them delivered to the Clayton where you can view them. If you re-order/check-out your films twice, they are designated as on permanent loan and stay at the Clayton. I wanted to know if I can see what's on permanent loan through the Clayton's online catalog (which is the Houston Public Library). The answer the staff member told me was no, since the items belong to the Family History Library. However, there is a list of permanent loan items on the Clayton library premises, so you can see it there. Because Clayton's FHC designation is pretty new, they don't have a big collection of permanent-loan films. Expect that to change as time goes on.

2 comments:

  1. I didn't know about the FHL designation. That's some good information! Thanks, Amy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Jacksonville Public Library in Jacksonville, Florida, is also a designated Family History Center. Even though there is an FHC much nearer to me, I prefer to go to the Jax library (where I hold an out-of-county library card to the tune of $40 a year and it's worth every penny) because their facilities are much better and their microfilm readers are more numerous, much newer and better, and every one of them prints!

    Having public libraries join the FHC network is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete