Monday, March 1, 2010

Anatomy of a Military Pension File, Part 12

Previously, I reported on the acquisition of my great-great-great grandfather's military pension file. The documents contained within paint a picture of a man and his family about which I knew very little. I've decided to share this 103-page treasure chest of information with you a few pages at a time.

Below is part two of page 27:


As before, I will enclose the handwritten parts in quotes.

I further state that the disability for which I claim a pension arises from "a disease of my eyes" which was contracted "while in the service of the U.S. as aforesaid and as a result and consequence of the disease from which I suffered while in such service, as above stated. My eyes being inflamed, watery and mattery and so weak that at times I was almost blind and am nearly deaf on left ear."

From my said discharge to the present time, I have received the following medical treatment for said disease: "Immediately upon my return I entered the treatment of Dr. August Luening at Milwaukee, Wis. under whose medical care and treatment I remained for 3 years. In 1862 when I re-enlisted in the 26th Reg. Wis. Vol. I consulted the regimental surgeon, Dr. Huebschumann at Milwaukee Wis. and remained under his medical care and treatment for 2 years." [Then there's a line drawn from the end of this sentence to the right end of the page.] "Both Dr. August Luening and Dr. Francis Huebschumann are dead. Both died at Milwaukee Wis."

[Then there's a paragraph where Max says he has suffered from no diseases since the disability stated above.]

What did I learn from the second half of this page? Way more medical history than most people know about their ancestors. Online, I found references to Dr. Frederick August Luening and Dr. Franz Huebschmann that may be the same people described in this document.

Coming up...page 28 talks more about disability and medical history, thus filling in Max's life timeline. Stay tuned...

1 comment:

  1. It's amazing how much you can learn from these! I recently received pension records for my g-g-grandmother's second husband, hoping there would be information about their marriage. Boy, was there! Turns out she was a bigamist and my g-g-grandpa was in an insane asylum. You can't make this stuff up.

    ReplyDelete