Monday, May 3, 2010

Anatomy of a Military Pension File, Part 20

Previously, I reported on the acquisition of my great-great-great grandfather's military pension file. The documents contained within paint a picture of a man and his family about which I knew very little. I've decided to share this 103-page treasure with you a few pages at a time.

Page 36: Bill/Statement from Amalia Baerecke's physician:

This is a bill for medical services related to the last days of my great-great-great grandmother's life. Five house calls and medicine for 11 bucks. 

What did I learn from this document?

I have Lena Baerecke Smith's place of residence on 27 February 1912.

I have a timeline of decline for Amalia Baerecke.

If I feel so inclined, I can look up Dr. William Sickles, his place of business and place of residence.

Coming up: the reimbursement form that spells out how much it cost to die in 1912. Stay tuned...


6 comments:

  1. Amy, This has been a very interesting series. I like your check list at the end of what you learned. Excellent teaching tool.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, I'm not sure how I've overlooked these posts, but I plan to backtrack and try to read them all! I'm in the process of trying to receive an ancestor's pension file from the VA. (He served in the Spanish-American War.) Perhaps reading through what you've posted will pacify me while I wait! :)

    Renate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great and interesting series Amy! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Joan, Cheryl and Renate, thank you so much for your comments. This is a long series, so it good to know I haven't bored you to death. I'm getting to know these ancestors as I go. They were strangers before I started analyzing the file.

    Renate, you should be able to click on the first part of the series, then find the link to the next page at the bottom of each installment. Let me know if the path is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amy,

    Good information - I'm going to see about requesting a copy of my uncles's file. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy,

    Good information - I'm going to see about requesing a copy of my uncles's file. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete