Monday, July 12, 2010

My 2010 Family Heritage Tour

My parents are visiting from another state. In the near future, I'm am taking my mom to her "ancestral homeland." This in reality is just western Louisiana, where her family roots go back to the 1700s. 

There are a couple cemeteries to visit. We're going to walk (in the oppressive heat) around the cute little town where her great-grandparents lived. I'm also taking my mom to the scene of the 1889 murder in our family. Now it's just a rice field and I bet nobody who lives there knows the significance.

Much of the time will be spent just being part of the culture. That's just a polite way of saying we're going to eat our way across the Acadia Parish and hopefully here some good Cajun music, too.

So my dad isn't left out in this Family Heritage tour, we're also going to pay a visit to Sgt. Jones. I also want my son to see this part of our family's history and the Civil War memorial on which is ancestor is named.

And of course, we're going to do it all in the Ultimate Genealogy Purchase. I knew that thing would come in handy. When the zydeco radio station comes in somewhere around Lake Charles, we might even hit the Party Button. 

3 comments:

  1. Oooh, I love Zydeco and Cajun music, and all that scrumptious food, too - I know you'll have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cajun food, yum! My mom and I are doing a Virginia trip next month, with a cemetery side trip.

    Hope you have a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bon Voyage!! Have a wonderful time.

    ReplyDelete