Tuesday, October 12, 2010

California Family History Expo, Part 3

See part 1 and part 2.

Day 2 of the California Family History Expo came quickly. Another hitched ride to the venue and I was back in social media mode. I spent much of the morning on the computer. I continued to update the @FHExpos Twitter account through scheduled tweets and retweets from the attendees. My main concern was spreading the word about events happening at the Expo and sharing information with those who were not able to attend. No easy task, my friends.

I took more pictures of speakers, their sessions and the exhibitors. I uploaded those to Facebook and made sure each one had a caption. If people enjoy the album, I have done my job.

I then led a Facebook Q&A with a great audience. I even met someone else who was researching Luxembourg! I told her about all the great Lux records at FamilySearch and sent her over to their booth. She promised to add me as a friend when she gets a Facebook account. I hope she does.

In the afternoon, I went around to some of the exhibitors and introduced myself as the face behind the tweets. I do a lot of promotion of speakers, exhibitors and such before each Expo. I just wanted them to know who I was so we could work together in the future to make sure they were properly publicized in the future. Some were cool with that, some just smiled and my overboard enthusiasm. I just love social media for promotion and advertising, but I know it's not for everyone.

Several folks wandered in to the Beacon of Bloggers area during the Expo. They came to ask questions about blogging or other technology. Whoever was at the blog area at that time provided advice and guidance. I helped a couple of people including a nice lady named Lilly, which led to this post in my blog. I wanted to show her how easy it was to write a blog, so I gave her some real life training.

As the afternoon progressed, people started filling in for the big finale. Holly (aka boss lady and president) concluded the Expo with an inspirational talk about breaking down brick walls. The event finished with a grand prize drawing.

When the exhibit hall lights shut off, it was a sign that my duties at the California Family History Expo were drawing to a close.

I spent the early evening having a snack and drink with several of my genealogy friends. We had a great time talking shop.

When the clock hit 6:30pm, we piled in the cars for a caravan to a party! What party? Well, it's so special that it deserves it's own post.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Amy!

    I have enjoyed your posts on the California Family History Expo, and believe you have done your job! My you were busy, but I know you had a lot of fun too. The pictures have been fun! I was so disappointed that I couldn't attend, hopefully next time! I have relived it all vicariously through all of the bloggers wonderful posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous! I will have to live vicariously through you this time around! :)

    ReplyDelete