Wednesday, October 20, 2010

FamilySearch Bloggers' Day is Coming


I feel fortunate to have been invited to participate in a Bloggers' Day event hosted by FamilySearch. This is an all-day function divided into sessions designed to highlight FamilySearch tools and get feedback from bloggers.

Each session will be about 20-40 minutes depending on the topic. Subjects include RootsTech conference, volunteer indexing, info on the Family History Library and Family History Centers, FamilySearch online research courses, FamilySearch wiki and forums, software, digital preservation and upcoming endeavors.

Between sessions, there are Q and A slots and networking opportunities.

Due to scheduling issues (the law frowns on leaving your tweens home alone with a big box of cereal and orders not to touch the stove), I am unable to attend in person. This upsets me greatly, because I hate to miss such a great opportunity. I will attend the opening of an envelope so long as I have enough notice to secure overnight child care.

Fortunately, the folks at FamilySearch have my back, and are setting me up with audio (and video, I think) access to the Bloggers' Day event.

If the planets align and I get the connection made, I should be able to report just like I was at the event. Except I won't get the free lunch and time with fellow bloggers.

Wish me luck. If all goes well, I'll have reports for you and my own impressions of the event. Should you have any questions or comments regarding Bloggers' Day, feel free to leave them here or email them to the address at the top right of this blog.

On that note, I am really excited to see such a big organization ask for feedback from the blogging community. Some get it, some don't. FamilySearch gets it.

5 comments:

  1. Awesome, Amy! I look forward to reading your posts about this great event. Wish I could be there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see that they're trying to include you electronically at least. I know firsthand how hard it is to get away with kids at home.

    It's nice to see that they're engaging the online genealogical community. Hopefully we'll see more of that from other genealogy-related organizations.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kerry, I think I'm the only one calling in. I'll know for sure tomorrow. If that's the case, then I am amazed and floored at the efforts FamilySearch is taking to get me included in the conversation. I'll keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on being selected. Can't wait to read your posts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Like we have known all along - you are a Rock Star!

    I want to hear all about it.

    ReplyDelete