Friday, October 15, 2010

Fun With Search Terms

It's time for another round of "Fun with Search Terms!" People type certain words or phrases into search engines. If the combination is right, my blog shows up in the search results. Sometimes the searches are funny. Sometimes I can provide more information to users, if only they'd comment on my blog. Either way, I enjoy the process. Please note, these searches are anonymous so I don't know who is stumbling on my blog. I just comment in the hope that they find it again.

blogs about "California family history expo"
I mentioned this event on my blog, so I'm not surprised that it came up in the search results. The short answer to the search: here is a blog post that re-caps other bloggers' experiences at the Expo. Long answer: did you know you can search just blogs on Google? Go to Google blog search and type in your search terms.

j b lemley
This name rang a bell with me and it took a while to remember why. This guy is (was?) a dedicated genealogist in the Pope county area of Arkansas. He published lots of indexes and books about Russellville and Pope county. Many of the books in the Clayton Library for this specific county are authored, edited and/or compiled by J. B. Lemley. I have no blood relation or advice for whoever submitted this search, I just wanted to give a shout out to a generous person who cared about local history in my area of interest.

clippings from newspaper from minute maid park on Sept. 14, 2010
This is an interesting search string. Minute Maid Park is where the Houston Astros play. My blog came up in the search results because of this post. As far as I know, the venue does not publish a newspaper. If you're looking for specific news related to the Houston Astros, try their team news page. If you're looking for an actual newspaper, like the Houston Chronicle, I suggest asking the kind folks at the Houston Public Library where to find newspaper archives for that specific day.

julia bourgeaux menou
You're killing me. You do know that's one of my ancestors, right? And your searching for her? And you don't comment on my blog so we can connect? Stop. You're killing me. Oh, and we're probably cousins. How dare you tease family like that.

stretch genealogy
Don't know him. Any relation to Stretch Armstrong?

Thanks for playing, folks! see you next time on Fun with Search Terms!

6 comments:

  1. I enjoy reading the search terms blogs you've posted several times. Recently, I've made a list, and my favorite two are:
    "Roots of Revolutionary war" and "what is written on Princess Diana's stone?" At least they try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a great blog post idea! The funniest one I found for my blog was 'smell battle creek'. Would love to know what they were searching for? I get frustrated when I see ancestor's names in the seach, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of the search terms I find on my statistics page drive me bonkers. Several times someone has searched for HOOGERZEIL, which is an ancestor's name. My ancestor made up the name, so no other family has it. No one even knows it unless they know a family member! It's driving me mad! Who is searching for Hoogerzeils?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also enjoy these posts - and yes, seeing what people are searching for is both funny and frustrating!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Some pretty hilarious ways to find your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bravo, what necessary phrase..., an excellent idea

    ReplyDelete