Thursday, April 21, 2011

How Do You Make Money in Genealogy?

The fourth installment of the Genea-opportunities series tackles the $64,000 question, which sadly doesn't pay that much.

You know me, people. I'm pretty transparent. These are my plans and here is my playbook:

Research - I have been and continue to take clients. I don't aggressively market myself because the traffic is steady and manageable. Eventually I will grow this portion of my genealogy pie.

Writing - In the past I have written both paid articles and non-paid pieces (though I always have a reason for writing the non-paid stuff). Recently, I have stepped up my game in the writing department with The Little Book Project That Could. I'm almost done with my first draft. It's very exciting and I think you guys are going to like it. I hope you like it, because people outside of genealogy surely won't.

My intent is to self-publish this book in softcover and as an e-book. After that I will offer up some more good content for sale as well. I also have the grains of a second book already swirling in my head.

The long term plan is to have a whole shelf full of e-books and items for purchase all about helping others maximize their family history research experience.

Speaking - I get asked to speak all the time and I turn people down all the time. I am unable to travel much because of child care issues. The authorities don't like it when I leave my kid with a box of cereal and a tv remote. My son is getting older now though, and my husband's extensive work travel schedule is in a comfortable rut. It's a good time to let go of some more "mom" duties and start flapping my gums.

Once the book is published and I have a little "free" time, I will put some presentations together and develop this arm of the Amy Coffin Empire. I intend to have several topics ready to go in the coming months.

Down the Road - I would also like to explore consulting opportunities. The developing genealogy demographic and my business research background may be of value. I won't rule this financial opportunity out, but I'm going to focus on the other things this moment. I do collect and study data for this market however, because good information professional *always* stay current.

The Sum of the Parts - As you can see, my plan is made of several pieces. It's a bit of a safety net on my part. If I hit a dry patch with few clients, I can put my energy in the other two arms and adjust as needed. This is my Plan B. And Plan C.

Well, there you have my present and future plans. I don't make a million dollars, but I am very happy with what I do. And that to me is worth a million dollars.
.
.

10 comments:

  1. Thanks Amy for letting us know about your projects and what your formula is right now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent, Amy! Diversify.

    ~Caroline

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am excited about the book. When is it coming out?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kerry, no idea. All I can say is this year. The "mom" job keeps getting in the way, but I try to move the project forward a little each day. At the same time, I need to figure out the whole publishing process. Right now, however, I need to pick up my husband's clothes from the cleaners. Now do you see why I don't have a hard launch date?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Good luck, Amy, with your ventures. Keep us posted on your progress.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A Plan????? You mean I need a plan??? Well crap, no wonder I am stuck where I am at. LOL Thanks Amy, Bwahahaha (manical laughter) nothing will stop me now! See you in June at Jamboree.

    ReplyDelete
  7. "I don't make a million dollars, but I am very happy with what I do. And that to me is worth a million dollars."

    I totally agree. When you are doing what you love, it is worth far more than what you get monetarily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Only thing I can add is that my genealogy ventures grew as my daughters did also. But it is still a labor of love, not money. Do consider speaking, though. It can be so much fun on the local level--meeting great people and getting out in front of audiences can keep many business skills sharp. Good luck and success on all your future projects! Deb

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to filling my library with Amy Coffin books!

    ReplyDelete