Friday, July 15, 2011

FGS 2011 Conference Social Media Policies


The Federation of Genealogical Societies has published their social media policy and photography policy for their September 7-10, 2011 conference in Springfield, Illinois.

FGS 2011 Conference Social Media Policy

FGS 2011 Conference Photography Policy

From an Official Blogger standpoint, I appreciate the existence of these policies and the fact that they are published well before the conference. These statements give me wide parameters to share information from the conference with those at home. At the same time, these policies respect the copyright of speakers and those providing content in sessions.

From a conference attendee standpoint, I appreciate that FGS is forward thinking enough to prepare these policies and make them available now. I know not everyone uses social media for learning / communicating / networking, but I do and I gravitate toward genealogy events that do as well.

The photography policy doesn't fall on me...at least I don't think it does. I intend to take photos as I always do, seeking permission when I feel it is necessary and utilizing larger anonymous crowd photos when possible. I don't plan on taking photos in sessions, so FGS and I are square there.

FGS publishes these policies and other news on their FGS Conference Blog. Read it for the latest updates. The social media and photography policies will be available in the conference handouts as well.


[Disclosure: I am an Official Blogger for the 2011 FGS Conference. They paid my registration, but didn't tell me what to write. I share conference information for the benefit of those who might have an interest in it.]
.
.

No comments:

Post a Comment