Wednesday, August 31, 2011

An Offer You Can Refuse (But I Hope You Don't)


Are you going to the 2011 FGS conference? I'm going to make you an offer you can refuse, but I hope you don't.

I was going to make this offer earlier, but instead I went out to lunch with my husband. When I came back, I saw that Sheri Fenley, The Educated Genealogist, had written a great post about being a conference first-timer. It fits well with my offer so go read it first, then come back here. But promise to come back because Blogger doesn't have a feature where I can make a link open in another window.
.
.
.
Ok, are you done reading Sheri's post? Wasn't that great?

Here's my offer. It's the same offer I've made for several conferences, yet no one ever takes me up on it.

If you're going to the FGS conference and don't know a soul, email me and we'll meet up. We can share a meal or hang out at a special event. Either way, you will know somebody at the conference.

I know it seems weird to contact a stranger, but trust me on this. Genealogists go from small talk to friendly conversation in 3 seconds. We'll have a great time.

Take down the email address at the top right of this page and contact me. It's connected to my phone, so I'll get your message even in Springfield. If you're at the Prairie Social all by your lonesome, just holler and I'll round up some friendly genealogist buddies right then and there.

It's not as socially awkward as it seems. I promise. You just have to reach out.

12 comments:

  1. Oh how I wish I were going so I could take you up on your offer! We were in Springfield in June - too bad we hadn't timed that a bit better :-(

    ReplyDelete
  2. If I were going, I would definitely take you up on your offer! I hope someone takes your offer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is a great idea and I hope in a couple years when I can attend my first someone is making that same offer. I hope some take you up on it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, Thank you for your offer. I know that you mean it because at my first Jamboree you were kind enough to talk with me, drove me to the SCGS Library and then we had lunch where I even met Thomas. At that time I had no idea what influence and encouragement you would both provide for me to start blogging. Thank you. Oh, by the way, when I see you if you have an extra newbie or two, I'd be glad to join up. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the testimonial, Karen. This is entirely true. We met in the hotel lobby out of the blue and the rest is history.

    And all because we made small talk. Genealogists are awesome that way.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy Dahling! Thanks for the shout out. You know, I can clearly remember the first time we met live and in person. It was as if we had known each other forever! Won't be able to attend FGS this year so do me a favor and pick up a parrot for me! I want photos!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I too, can attest to Amy's hospitality. She snagged my lost-looking soul out of the midst of my first FHL conference in Atlanta and introduced me to the likes of Linda McCauley, Thomas, and Myrt :-) It was so nice to finally put faces to names.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Amy, I remember how kind you were to this poor old Aussie prior to and during the Rootstech 2011 conference. So much so that I am heading back in 2012 to catch up with all the genimates I met there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Amy, you have a special gift of making people feel welcome. I remember first meeting you at a Mesa FHexpo in 2010 and I'm glad I did. I have enjoyed catching up with you at several conferences since.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I *so* wish I was going to be there to take you up on the offer! On another matter... to make a link in your post open in another window, edit the code in the 'Edit HTML' tab in the New Post window. After the first part of the link code, after the " and before the > and the words that are to form the link, insert a space followed by this:

    target="_blank"

    If that doesn't make sense, contact me and I'll send you an example as an image.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm looking forward to meeting you in person next week, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So behind on my readings, but my heart warmed with this post. Even though I am in Indiana, couldn't go to Springfield, but already have hotel reservations for Cincinnati, and I will remember these words. Genealogists are just the best, and I am certain that as a first-timer then I refuse to feel "outside the circle" once I arrive.

    ReplyDelete