Friday, September 2, 2011

If Genealogists Were In the Tabloids

Nobody cares about actual news anymore. It's the antics of celebrities that get network attention at the top of the hour.

What if genealogists were the celebrities? Here's a look at the gossip tidbits you might see if genealogists were in the tabloids:


Which enthusiastic family historian is slated for the debut edition of Dr. Drew's Genealogy Rehab? She was booked on the show after a week-long courthouse record bender during the middle of her family's vacation.


This genealogy brat pack is back to their conference partying ways. They spend so many late nights at the hotel bar, it's a wonder they can get up for classes!


Guess is pays to talk genealogy at national conferences. This well-known speaker was seen dropping the entire speaker's fee on books at a vendor's booth, yet vehemently denies there is a shopping addiction.


This first lady of genealogy caused quite a conference stir last week by admitting that some of the facts in her family tree are sourceless. The confession caused several audience members to get the vapors and ambulances were called.


Which amusing A-lister is rumored to be giving up family history to launch a line of sexy genealogist t-shirts? His wife sure is an angel to put up with his folly. Look for his clothing line to debut at the NGS conference this spring.


This couple who found love in the archives is raising eyebrows with their wedding registry. The least expensive item on the list is a $75 Civil War pension file!


So you think you can dance? This mild-mannered genealogist recently busted a major brick wall at the Family History Library and celebrated with a victory dance when she thought no one was watching. Look for the video to go viral soon.


This bejeweled blogger has gone to great lengths to hide his real age. Unfortunately, the latest additions to Ancestry.com's yearbook collection include the stone tablets that bear the truth.




Deny it all you want, but I know you'd sneak a peek at the tabloids if they covered genealogy gossip. Perhaps someday when family history goes mainstream. I heard a rumor that we're headed that way...

22 comments:

  1. I love the Civil War pension record on the registry list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, thanks for the laugh! Have a good weekend,

    Marian

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL! In my mind I am picturing who the genealogist could be in each of those snippets. Too funny! Thanks for the laugh.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This should probably be a regular column. At least though FGS.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it - you're a hoot. I recognise some of my genimates amongst that lot.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Best laugh I've had all week. Thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I certainly would have asked for different wedding presents if I had been into genealogy when I was married ... Thanks for the laughs!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, love it all, agree with ALL the comments! Smiling, always a good thing, smiling HUGE, even better!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Amy, great post! I needed the chuckles..:)

    ReplyDelete
  10. thanks for brightening my morning!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hysterically funny and delightfully creative as always, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am still chuckling. I guess I better behave at FGS or I might be tabloid fodder, or maybe I will eat healthy and be the biggest loser. On second thought, forget about that.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just how do you come up with so many clever topics. This was a gem, and like the others above, I laughed, then read it twice. Thanks to Susan Peterson for mentioning this as one of her picks this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love this. Especially the wedding registry one!

    ReplyDelete