Monday, January 2, 2012

52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy

Thank you to everyone that participated in the 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy & History series. I really enjoyed reading all the different posts about your past experiences. I hope you found value in it as well. Your descendants will thank you for sharing the history of your lives.

In December of 2011 I almost gave up on the blog topic series streak. I was simply out of ideas. I had written three years' worth of individual genealogy blog ideas, plus a set of society ideas and another set of professional genealogy blog topics. I was tired.

Then I got one of those cartoon light bulbs over my head. What if we did a series of genealogy things we were grateful for? I began writing a list in the car one day while my son waited for trains.

The result is 52 Weeks of Abundant Genealogy (credit Thomas MacEntee for the title which was better than mine).

We live in such an exciting time to pursue genealogy. There are so many resources available to us. We have a wonderful social community, educational opportunities and conference events.

I chose this series theme to help us remain aware of all we have. At the same time, we can share our experiences and resources with others. We can even give thanks and shine a spotlight on those dedicated volunteers who preserve our heritage.

Have fun with this one. There is no rule that says you have to do all 52 weeks. I encourage you to adapt these prompts to fit your life experience.

So let's get out there and find some family history!

Onward.

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad inspiration found you! I really like the idea this year (not that I didn't like the ideas the other years!). I think there are going to be a lot of very interesting and useful posts as a result of this series.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking forward to it, Amy! Do you know if Thomas is going to include the prompts in the quarterly blogging calendars he (usually) puts out? I am going to be gone all next week (on a cruise, and NOT paying for expensive internet) and if I have time I'd like to try to post next week's in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm going to try to follow along with the 52 Weeks. Another great idea!

    Good question Amanda, I will be doing some traveling soon as well and it would be great to prepare in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Amy, I don't like starting things I can't finish and so haven't taken part in your earlier 52 week blogging series.

    I have convinced myself that I don't have to participate every single week so am excited to be having a go at completing as many weeks as I can.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm with Jill - I don't take on anything I can't commit to, so I haven't participated previously, but I'm going to give it a go in 2012. Thanks in advance for your inspiration and Happy New Year! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amy, Thank you for 52 Weeks of Personal Genealogy &History . Even though I didn't participate every single week I still ended up with a nice set of stories to pass to my kids. I plan on adding to them and then making them into a book for them.

    Looking forward to this years prompts and hope they make Thomas' editorial calendar. ITS ahuge help.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you're offering a new series this year, Amy! I'm looking forward to seeing the prompts week by week. Thank you and happy 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for doing this for another year, Amy. Because many of us have only discovered genealogy blogs in the past year or two, I personally would like to see your first two series used again in 2013 and 2014.

    ReplyDelete