Monday, October 22, 2012

Interview with Thomas Rutherford "Oad" Colbert

While searching for something else, I found this interesting interview of Thomas Rutherford "Oad" Colbert (1879-1939). He was the brother of my great-great grandmother Carrie Colbert.

I'm posting a link to this interview mostly for my few family members who visit this blog, but regular readers might find his words interesting as well.

The Colberts were a big part of Chickasaw history. Oad provided his opinion of his ancestors' move from Mississippi to Indian Territory in 1832 and the land allotment they received from the government.

"We were kidded into believing we're getting a fine thing, when they began allotting the land. But did not learn until later that we were being fooled."

This is a very short interview, and I wish there was more. Family, do you remember Doris talking about Oad? I do. He died in a car accident in 1939 when he was 59.



No comments:

Post a Comment