Thursday, November 8, 2012

See Full Results in the Ancestry.com DNA Test

Yesterday I posted about my Ancestry.com DNA test results. I included the following screen capture of my DNA pie chart:

There were some questions in the comments about the "See Full Results" button in the image and what types of information you get when you click on it. Instead of answering in the comments, I decided just to make a blog post about it. Here's what I see when I expand to full results:

I get a pretty map.
I have a private family tree at Ancestry.com. That means that I can see it, but others cannot. In my DNA results, there is a world map and my ancestors' birthplaces are tagged on that map. That way I can see where my ancestors are in terms of the color-coded pie slice regions. It's a pretty map, but it doesn't tell me anything new since I'm the one who put all the information in the tree anyway.

I get a brief lesson on ethnicity.
There are a few paragraphs on how ethnicity is determined and its accuracy.

I get information on my ethnic pie slices.
I have four different colored pie slices, so there are options to read about each one. There is information on history, migrations and current countries. There is no commentary for my big "uncertain" pie slice.

I get potential matches. Lots and lots of them.
Ancestry.com DNA provides potential cousin matches based on the test results of others. They are loosely grouped by relationship range, but you can filter and edit the set any way you want. If a potential match has a public family tree on Ancestry.com, you are able to view that. There is an option to contact a potential match.

Ancestry.com also provides an estimated relationship level, so I can see who might be my 3rd cousin, 4th cousin, etc. This is not a perfect tool, just an estimation. One person listed as a potential 4th cousin to me is actually a 2nd cousin once-removed.

Parting thoughts
I took the Ancestry.com DNA test for my own curiosity, so I'm not compelled or motivated to review it here. Hopefully I've provided enough details to answer some questions. The best parts of the test are the pretty pie chart and the potential cousin matches. It's just nice to know you're connected to others out there on the big blue planet.

6 comments:

  1. I have one more question: Are your matches given your full real name, your Ancestry username, or no identifying info? In other words, do you have the option of remaining anonymous to matches that you know you don't want to connect with?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kerry, all I see of my matches are what I assume are their Ancestry user names, and I assume they are seeing the same for my account. If the matches have public family trees, you can see them. If not, it will say private tree. Either way, there is an option to contact all matches through Ancestry channels (it does not show email addresses).

      Delete
    2. Hi Amy,

      I'm curious why you haven't listed Coffin in your surname list. I am a Coffin and have great interest in finding others who e gone as far as doing DNA profiles to share data with. I am guessing Coffin is a married name then?

      If you possibly have any suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.

      Thanks,

      T. Coffin

      Delete
    3. Hi there, T. Coffin,

      You are correct in assuming Coffin is my married name. I have done zero research on the line (mostly because others have already done it).

      I don't have Coffin in my surname list because I have nothing to share, not even DNA. I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.

      Delete
  2. You have a pretty pie chart! :) Mine was much less colorful. I debated about making a public tree to link to my DNA results (my main one is private) and eventually decided to go for it. I have mixed feelings about my choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, what if you just want your pie chart and map, is there a way to turn off the potential match feature?

    ReplyDelete