Sunday, August 10, 2008

Clayton Library Friends Meeting

Back from Arkansas. The Williamson Family Road Trip and Celebrity Death Tour (tm) went well. More details to follow. I have to upload more pictures first.

Yesterday, I went my first Clayton Library Friends meeting. I wanted to see where my dues went. My dad was visiting, so he came with me for curiosity's sake.

This is a very friendly group with some amazing volunteers. Reports were given on the state of the organization, as well as the state of renovation at the library site. The Clayton Library is good now, but it's going to be great.

After the meeting was a presentation by Karen Miller, President of the Guild of Colonial Artisans and Tradesmen 1607-1783. It was a good talk. I learned a lot.

Since I was in "the city" anyway, I took my dad to Goode's for lunch. Then we went to the Clayton so he could see it. I think he was impressed.

The next Clayton Library Friends meeting is Saturday, November 15, 2008. If the planets align and the wood is properly knocked, the meeting will be in the newly renovated Carriage House at the Clayton. If not, then it's at Houston Public Library's Jungman Branch one more time.

The speaker for the November meeting is Karen Black-Morrow who will present From Piles of Paper to Polished Prose, a talk about writing a narrative history of your family and organizing records and documents.

No comments:

Post a Comment