Thursday, December 11, 2008

Battle of Calcasieu Pass Memorial, Cameron Parish, Louisiana

Recently, I shared details about my day trip to Cameron Parish, Louisiana. Before I went on the trip, I read about the area, and that there was a war memorial at the Cameron Parish courthouse. Supposedly, the marker included the names of Union and Confederate soldiers who died in the Battle of Calcasieu Pass on May 6, 1864. However, I could find no pictures or further information on the Internet about the memorial so I drove there to see for myself.

Below are some photos of the marker and a transcription of the writing on the side of the memorial facing the street. There is writing on all four sides, but the side shown discusses the Battle of Calcasieu Pass:



BATTLE OF CALCASIEU PASS

NEAR THIS SPOT CONFEDERATE SOLDIERS UNDER
THE COMMAND OF COL. W. H. GRIFFIN CAPTURED THE
UNION GUNBOATS WAVE AND GRANITE CITY IN THE
BATTLE OF CALCASIEU PASS, CAMERON, LOUISIANA, ON
MAY 6, 1864. THESE GALLANT MEN DIED FOR THEIR CAUSE:

UNION

QUARTERMASTER JOHN W. TINDALL
SEAMAN JOSEPH JOHNSON
ENGISN HENRY JACKSON
ENSIGN S. R. TYRREL

SEAMAN JOHN SCOTT
QUARTERMASTER JOHN JACOBS
ORD. SEAMAN WILLIAM HAYDEN
ENSIGN A. H. BERRY

CONFEDERATE

PVT. WILLIAM KNEIP
CPL. FERDINAND FAHRENTHOLD
PVT. JOHN LYNCH
PVT. HENRY FOESTERMAHN
PVT. AARON RUSSELL
PVT. J. D. LANCASTER
SGT. R. M. JONES

PVT. A. SCRINKLE
PVT. W. A. JACKSON
PVT. P. WHITTENBERG
PVT. M. YVARRO
PVT. JACKSON J. RISINGER
SGT. WILLIAM INGLE
PVT. WILLIAM GUHRE

I have several pictures of this memorial and close ups of the names. I also have photos of all four sides of the marker, commemorating WWI, WWII and the Korean Conflict. These sides also have the names of Cameron Parish soldiers who served and the dates they were killed in action. If you are interested in these photos, email me at the address provided in the right side of this blog page.

The R. M. JONES mentioned in this memorial is Richard Monson Jones. I also have genalogical information about him I'm willing to share.

No comments:

Post a Comment