Sunday, February 15, 2009

iGene Awards: 66th Carnival of Genealogy



The topic for the 66th Carnival of Genealogy, hosted by Creative Gene is:

iGene Awards, The Best of The Best! It's Academy awards time... time for the Academy of Genealogy and Family History, aka AGFH, to honor their best blog posts of 2008 in the following 5 categories:

Best Picture - Best old family photo that appeared on your blog in 2008. Tell us which you liked best and why. And the winner is....the Snow Angel Marker photo in the story Snow Boy. Technically, this isn't an old picture. However, it shows my day job and the side of my life that's not usually part of this blog.

Best Screen Play - Which family story that you shared in 2008 would make the best movie? Who would you cast as your family members? And the winner is...The Adventures with Cordy travel diary series. Four of my more spirited senior ancestors embarked on a road trip in 1976 and someone was kind enough to record their mad cap adventures. This diary is most amusing to those who knew the Fearsome Foursome. Casting of this movie would require four actors in their sixties.

Best Documentary - Which was the best informational article you wrote about a place, thing, or event involving your family's history in 2008? And the winner is...Looking for Sargeant Jones, part 1 and part 2. Hands down, this post won by a landslide. I took a day trip to Cameron Parish, Louisiana and recorded my experience. I tried to describe the historical aspect of the area (Civil War battle location and monument) and the present condition of the area (decimated by recent hurricanes). Based on the feedback I recieved my point was made.

Best Biography - Which was the best biographical article you wrote in 2008? And the winner is...The Politics of Genealogy. This post required a lot of research on my part. I am proud of what I found and how I recorded it complete with sources. A planned trip to Little Rock, Arkansas this summer may add a second episode to the documentary.

Best Comedy - Which was the best funny story, poem, joke, photo, or video that you shared on your blog in 2008? And the winner is...Christmas Oddities. The title of my autobiography will be called "None of the Above," because my life never seems to fit in those tidy categories provided by surveys and what not. This was also the case when we were to share our holiday traditions on the Christmas Tour of Blogs. Everyone posted such pretty scenes! It just felt right for me to post the stranger side of holiday observance, and that's how Christmas Oddities came to be.

This concludes my entry in the AGFH awards show. No hideous gowns, boring stage numbers or drunken acceptance speeches. The AGFH is all about good writing. I hope you will read the entires and awards given to othr genealogy bloggers as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment