Monday, December 21, 2009

Anatomy of a Military Pension File, Part 5

Previously, I reported on the acquisition of my great-great-great grandfather's military pension file. The documents containted within paint a picture of a man and his family about which I knew very little. I've decided to share this 103-page treasure chest of information with you a few pages at a time.

Page 14: Certification of Marriage



The top left corner of this document says it's from the State of Wisconsin, Milwaukee County, which is where Max Baerecke lived most of his American life.

The text of the document says:

I, Otto Seidel, Jr., Register if Deeds in and for said County, hereby certify that the foregoing is a true and correct transcript from the records in my office as recorded in volume B of Marriages page 480; that I have carefully compared the same with said Records, and that it is the whole thereof.

In Testimony Whereof, I have hereunto set my hand and affixed my official seal this 29th day of March A.D. 1905.

[Signature of Otto Seidel, Jr.]
Register of Deeds, Milwaukee County, Wis.
What does this document tell me?
Though names are not given, I assume the marriage in question is that of my third-great grandparents. It appears they were married in Milwaukee County, Wisconsin. That's half the battle right there. The clues about the location of the record (Book B, page 480) may be all I need to find the record and the marriage date. However, much time has passed, and it's possible the record system has changed. Still, it's a good start.
Later on in the pension file, the marriage date is given, so with that information and what is listed in this document, I'm hopeful that a marriage record for Max and Amalie can be found. In time, I will rent the pertinent microfilms from my local Family History Center and see what they offer. Perhaps some unknown, yet-to-be-discovered family members are witnesses to the event.

1 comment:

  1. I have found that, generally speaking, the older marriage books are not re-classified, so you might be able to get a copy of the original from the county. Of course, LDS FHC microfilm is also a great way to go. I hope you find the record, and all the information you could possibly hope for!

    ReplyDelete