Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Tombstone Tuesday: Malina Thibodeaux Edition

This is the grave of my great-great aunt at St. Joseph cemetery in Iota, Acadia Parish, Louisiana. If you do the math, you can see she was 23 when she died. 


 * SISTER *
MALINA
THIBODEAUX
DEC. 18, 1882
SEPT. 8, 1906
AT REST


In the picture above, you can see a partial view of a stone for Lizzie Eldridge. She was Malina's mother and is my great-great grandmother.

Malina's brief obituary that appeared in the paper stated that she had been ill for six months, but wasn't more specific than that.


For my family playing along, Malina (sometimes called Melanie Thibodeaux) was the aunt of my grandfather. She was the sister of Noel Holly Thibodeaux. I definitely see a resemblance.

1 comment:

  1. During that time period and dying at such a young age, I would guess that Malina could have possibly died from TB.
    It was rampant and there was no cure at that time. She would have been sick for a long time.

    ReplyDelete