Wednesday, December 29, 2010

52 Weeks to Better Genealogy: Thanks for Playing

In late 2008, I wrote a series of topic ideas collectively titled, "Jump Start Your Genealogy Blog: 52 Ideas, 52 Weeks." The intent was to provide something for new genealogy bloggers to write about each week of the year.

At the end of 2009, Thomas MacEntee asked me to write another series to be featured on GeneaBloggers. There were only a few days before the new year and the deadline was tight. My idea was to get genealogists out of their comfort zone and encourage them to look at new sources and places for research. On a tray table of a middle seat of an airplane, I wrote the series that would be "52 Weeks to Better Genealogy." I wasn't sure how it would be received by the genealogy public.

The series' popularity exceeded my expectations. It was so neat to see so many people accept the weekly challenges and try new things. Some tools were loved, some were hated, but they were all tested.

We've hit the 52nd week and there are no more new challenges in the series. I hope you enjoyed it and learned something along the way. I really enjoyed reading everyone's experiences. Thank you to everyone who played along.

To answer the inevitable question that will be asked in the comments, yes, there is another series in the 2011 gate. This new one was written mainly on paper, in the car while waiting in the school pick-up line.

The topic is under wraps until it's debut at GeneaBloggers. Just know that it's entirely different than the last two series and may be new territory for some of you. Are you curious? Good. Then I've done my job.

Happy blogging in 2011.

12 comments:

  1. Did not participate in enough of these this year, for various reasons, did look at each challenge tho!

    Can't wait to see what your car notes reveal for us this year.

    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even though I only participated in a few myself, I LOVE this series and reading about others' experiences. I am definitely looking forward to the next one. Also, will you be putting up a list to all the weekly topics on one page? It would be great if you'd do this for both series so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Curious? You bet! Can't wait to see how you'll help us s-t-r-e-t-c-h our skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Noooo! Please don't make me wait! I'm terrible at waiting, can't you tell? I'm so glad you're continuing with this series. I'm so excited and I can't wait to find out what your series will be this year! One of my goals this year is to post more to my blog. Even though I didn't participate much during the holidays, I'm super ready to get back to it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am waiting with anticipatory excitement. I did a few and would have liked to have done more, but somehow work interfered with what I wanted to do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looking forward to seeing the plan...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait for the new series! You rock, Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This was an excellent series. Even though I rarely got around to writing about them, I did most of the challenges and learned a lot along the way.

    Can't wait to see what's next.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looking forward to the new series. I wish I'd had more time to devote to the 2010 series, it was excellent.

    PS - Oh how I remember the waiting in the pick up line days. Don't miss it, just remember it too well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't start blogging my genealogy until this past Nov. So I missed most of your last to series, but I can't wait to see what you have planned!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I missed 52 weeks; Can't wait to be involved!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am delighted there is to be a new series.I didn't participate in the last two due to domestics and work, but have plans to go back and utilise the subject matters for further blog posts. Looking forward to the new series.

    ReplyDelete