Thursday, December 2, 2010

Advent Calendar: December 2





(This is post 2 in the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories hosted by Geneabloggers.com)

Prompt: December 2
Did your family or ancestors serve traditional dishes for the holidays? Was there one dish that was unusual?

We were (and still are) a turkey-at-Christmas family. The accompanying dishes are pretty much standard fare: mashed potatoes, green beans...etc.

One dish that's somewhat unique to my family is creamed onions. My grandma always made creamed pearl onions and now her kids do, too. I always think of her when I have them every Christmas.

I also have to mention my aunt's Christmas tree frosted sugar cookies. I'm not just saying that because I know she'll read this. They're really good, and IF she happened to make them again this year, that would be great. (hint hint)


(This post was originally published December 2, 2009)

3 comments:

  1. Creamed pean AND onions oftentimes made an appearance at my paternal grandparent's Christmas table and who doesn't love frosted sugar cookies ... especially if they are made by someone who puts a lot of love into them? Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creamed onions never liked them until I grew up! But your dad doesn't make them like Grandma. He uses Aunt "Somebody's" sauce. Sugar cookies are on the menu! Lots of love, sugar, butter, & cream in those cookies.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete