Saturday, July 9, 2011

SNGF: My Elevator Speech

'Tis a rare weekend when I am home and available to participate in Randy Seaver's Saturday Night Genealogy Fun series. Today those planets aligned!

This week's topic is to write your blog's elevator speech. Here is mine:

The We Tree Genealogy Blog chronicles my adventures in family history and (hopefully) inspires others do to the same. Knowing your past gives you humbled balance in the present and shapes your path in the future. If you think genealogy is boring, then you're doing it wrong. That is my sermon and this blog is my megaphone. 


Sound preachy? Good. It's supposed to. Welcome to my genealogical tent revival.
.
.

8 comments:

  1. Good pitch, Amy! I really like the sentence "If you think genealogy is boring, then you're doing it wrong." That would be a great tag line. Or a t-shirt. : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amy, you need to get shirts printed with, "If you think genealogy is boring, then you're doing it wrong." Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm smiling. This is oh-so-good, Amy,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, this is what I put in the header of my blog to grab readers' interest. I will have to change it up soon, as the blog has been telling the story primarily of just one side of the family -- my dad's parents --because they saved EVERYTHING, leaving fantastic clues and insights into their lives 100 years ago. I'll be rewriting in the next month or so, but here it is now:

    "This blog is based on original letters, diaries, and documents that span the last 100 years. It starts with a century-old love note from Josef Gärtz, my grandfather, to Lisi (Elisabetha) Ebner, my grandmother, and follows their bold decision to strike out for America. Through their own words, you can be witness to one immigrant couple's story--and in it see the story of America. To start at the beginning, please click HERE." (that last HERE is a hot link on the blog to the first post."

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oops -- I realize i meant to post this on Tonia's Blog-- but had come her first to see what you had written, Amy, and just started typing away. So first I want to say that I think your elevator speech is a jump-starter for folks to really start thinking about why they should pursue their family history as well. Now to repost at Tonia's Roots!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Linda, I love your elevator speech. I'm glad you posted it here. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Amy, Love your elevator speech.

    ReplyDelete