Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Ask the Archivist in Family Tree Magazine

The September 2012 issue of Family Tree Magazine has a Family Archivist column written by Sunny Jane Morton. The "Ask the Archivist" piece is focused on organizing your research materials. I was fortunate to be the person interviewed for this issue.

I answered questions about the types of materials genealogists collect, how to store the items, organize them and back them up. Given the current chaos that is my own personal collection, it was kind of funny to give this interview. Fortunately, I was able to draw on my experience organizing the collections of others.

My digital organization system is different than others. Files are sorted by surnames and further divided by person. Everything I have on that person goes in that file. This allows me to have a personal inventory on each person.

The article is on page 56 of the September 2012 issue of the magazine. Check it out if you have a chance. Special thanks to Sunny Jane Morton for the opportunity and consideration.


No comments:

Post a Comment