Thursday, September 2, 2010

Courthouse Field Trip

I've been busy this week, first with day job, then with other day job. When people hire me to do genealogy-related stuff, this blog goes on the back burner for lack of content. I went to the courthouse today and retrieved records for someone. That doesn't make for interesting reading, you see? Then I had an idea. Why not take all my readers with me to the courthouse? How very Mr. Rogers-like. Yes folks, it's photo blog time.

After dropping the kiddo off at school, I headed on out of the back woods. Here's what it looks like when you hit the last light before the freeway:


Nobody in Southern California will believe me, but this picture below was taken at 8:30 a.m. going inbound to downtown. Not a brake light in sight. I promise you I did not take my eyes off the road while taking this photo. I just kind of drove with one hand for a second.


Eventually the Houston skyline comes into view:


The off-ramp to downtown runs right into the home of the Astros aka Minute Maid Park, but it's maiden name was Enron Field. The roof is open today. You can tell because it's sticking out from the rest of the stadium.



That domed building is where we're going. It's the Harris County Civil Courthouse. It's also where the records I need are located.


This is the part in the story where I park my car, but the location is secret. Yes, the price is that good. Then I mosey to the courthouse, go through security, go up to the clerk's office, and get my records. Success! In minutes! But before I go back downstairs, I pause to look at the view. Here are all the folks waiting to get into the criminal court building. Crime doesn't pay, folks. Well, maybe for the lawyers.


The best part is the view to my left.


The rest of the trip involves me driving home, then scanning/delivering documents for the person who requested them. Again, not the stuff from which great genealogy blogs are made, but you get the idea.

Thanks for playing along. Should you ever need anything of genealogical value from the Houston area and surrounding counties, I am for hire. And I know the best parking spots.

4 comments:

  1. That was cool!

    (and "its maiden name was Enron Field" made me laugh out loud)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing! It was fun to ride along :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. The best way to go...early. Enjoyed the ride and great pics.

    Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete