Monday, December 12, 2011

Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories: December 12



(This is post 12 in the Advent Calendar of Christmas Memories hosted by Geneabloggers.com)

Prompt: December 12 - Charitable / Volunteer Work
Did your family ever volunteer with a charity such as a soup kitchen, homeless or battered women's shelter during the holidays? Or perhaps were your ancestors involved with church groups that assisted others during the holiday?

My short answer is no to the above, but...

My dad was involved in the Lions Club for many years. Each Christmas, they had a breakfast with Santa. When  was young, I got to attend with the other kids. It was swell. We had breakfast, we made crafts, Santa came. One year, the back of me was even in the paper. Story of my life.

When I got older, I got to be a helper at those breakfasts. That was fun, too, because I felt grown up.

Come to think of it, my parents still have some of my Lions Club crafts still hanging on the tree.


(Originally published December 12, 2009)

No comments:

Post a Comment