Friday, April 5, 2013

Fun with Search Terms

It's time for another round of "Fun with Search Terms!" People type certain words or phrases into search engines. If the combination is right, my blog turns up in the search results. Sometimes the searches are funny. Sometimes I can provide more information to users, if only they'd comment on my blog. Either way, I enjoy the process. Please note that these searches are anonymous so I don't know who is stumbling on my blog. I just comment in the hope that they find it again.

Now on with the show. Actual search phrases are in bold.

how do i cousin bait
When it comes to connecting with new cousins and exchanging family history information, a genealogy blog is the best lure there is. When you write a teaser blog post with pertinent ancestor information, you are "fishing for cousins" and the post itself is the bait you use to attract new cousins.

I've written an aptly titled piece called How to Write a "Cousin Bait" Genealogy Blog Post that may be of interest. 

gross fish fry
I wouldn't know anything about that as I only deal in awesome fish frys.

jill ball, blog, genealogy
Geniaus, Aussie, delightful

billing formats in hardware company
I honestly have no idea how this would lead to my blog, or how I can make something witty from it. I assume hardware store billing formats aren't much different that other retail small businesses. Good luck, man.

rootstech 2014
February 6-8, 2014 in Salt Lake City. Be there or be square...and jealous.

going to a genealogy conference by yourself
Just do it. Genealogy conferences are the best way to make genealogy pals. You met people in line, you meet them in class, you have a meal together. It's great. If you had contacted me after visiting my blog, I could have given you some contacts. I still will, but you need to reach out. I also suggest you read Don't Be a Wallflower at Your First Genealogy Conference. Good stuff.

yesterday we talked about genealogy
Today we'll do the same and the forecast looks bright for tomorrow as well.

Thanks for playing!

4 comments:

  1. I still have to learn HOW to find out what words and phrases make my blog come up in search results. I just got a new self-hosted WordPress blog, so I can just ask @wptribe this question. There must be a plug-in or a widget for that!

    I really enjoyed your "Don't Be a Wallflower" post and the way that you followed through at the conference in Salt Lake City. Sounded brave and fun. I could almost picture myself doing that. Maybe at FGS I'll try your methods . . . depending on when our first grandchild is born. She's due to arrive on August 20th in Fort Wayne, talk about coincidence. So we'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've Made It! Feel special To Be Included in Your Weird And Wacky Search Terms!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always really enjoy these posts. Thanks Amy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are by far my favorite posts.
    I think you are the only blogger who posts on this topic.

    ReplyDelete