Friday, October 17, 2008

Note to Family and a Homework Assignment

If you're connected to my dad's side of the family, via his mother, then you have an ancestor that was killed in the "Battle of Calcasieu Pass" in the Civil War.

The person in question is Doris' great-grandfather. If you're in the advanced class, it's the father of Frank Wiley Jones.

The area of the battle and burial site are an easy drive for me just over the Louisiana state line and a right down to the Gulf. Unfortunately, Cameron Parish is pretty messed up from hurricane damage (again). There's supposedly a battle memorial at the courthouse, but the ferry to Monkey Island doesn't exist anymore. It may be a while before I'll be able to do an ancestral drive-by in Cameron.

I don't have time to research the Battle of Calcasieu Pass right now because I'm knee deep in Lenertz-related Minnesota public records. So family, if you're bored and want to dig around for information on this battle, send it to me. I will eventually share Richard Jones' military file here once I have the time to give it the attention it deserves.

Until then, if you want the 8-page military file of Richard Monson Jones (b. ? - d. 6 May 1864), email me and I'll send it along. My address is in the right column of this blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment